#TE-04-03 Teaching Phonics in Early Childhood
About CourseQueensland University of Technology
Learn evidence-based skills for teaching phonics to young children
Intentionally and explicitly teaching the relationship between letters and sounds through play-based pedagogies is a crucial part of children’s literacy development. There is much popular debate surrounding this topic, amongst researchers, teachers, parents and education authorities. This course will share research-based knowledge and skills around code-based literacy in early childhood.
What topics will you cover?
- What is code-related literacy?
- What is phonics?
- Why is phonics important in early childhood settings?
- What are some evidence-based strategies for teaching phonics?
What Will I Learn?
- Describe code-related literacy, including phonics, phonemic awareness and phonological awareness
- Explain why teaching and learning code-related literacy is important
- Identify an appropriate strategy for teaching code-related literacy in early childhood settings
Topics for this course
Welcome to the course00:01:52
Why is phonics important?
What is phonics?
What is phonics?00:02:13
Explaining phonological awareness
Why the focus on phonics?
What do you think?
Summary and what’s next
This course gives us an idea of why we pay attention to phonics in children, and points the way. Not bad.
I totally agree with this course. As a mother, I have been paying great attention to my baby's pronunciation training.
This course teaches us as parents the importance of phonics in early childhood. We need to develop our children's pronunciation in different ways.
I personally enjoyed the course a lot. It was great to see the number of curriculums and activities which go behind to help nurture the child.