Returning to Education as a Mature Student
About CourseUniversity of York
Understand how to succeed as a mature student
What is a mature student? What life and work experience can mature learners bring to the learning environment? Answer these questions and more with this course.
You will will consider the perceived barriers that mature learners face and potential solutions to those barriers. You will learn about the skills you need to develop as a mature student, the support systems you can gain access to, and the guidance that is available to you in making an application to a course of interest.
What topics will you cover?
- Who are mature learners? The history of mature learners
- What is involved in making the decision to return to education – breaking down perceived barriers
- A sense of belonging – the range of support systems available to mature learners such as finance, child care, mature learning networks, academic skills development
- What a mature learner may need to succeed in the learning environment – digital and academic writing skills; finance support; child care support; making a successful UCAS application
What Will I Learn?
- Engage with other mature learners
- Develop a timeline of the history of mature learners
- Evaluate their own barriers to returning to education including, those related to a sense of belonging to an education setting
- Design an action plan to prepare for the skills and support networks learners will need in advance of, and during, their course
- Apply the skills learned to begin making a UCAS application
Topics for this course
Getting the most out of this course
Meet your classmates
Who are mature learners?
So, what is a mature learner?00:02:52
A short history of mature learners
Do the Four Pillars of Education still exist?
Characteristics of mature learners
Your family history of adult learning
Assumptions and barriers
Barriers to education: more than age and gender00:02:59
So, what is stopping you?00:03:00
Rules and worlds we don’t know
What if I have a disability?00:02:19
Skills and expertise I already have
You are more ready than you think you are
Benefits of returning to learning
Education : It’s good for us too.
Making a decision to return: from pre-contemplation to success00:04:07
We all have needs00:03:27
Fitting in: easier for some, not so for others
Fitting in: a current mature student perspective00:01:37
Closing thoughts and what’s happening next course
The lecturer is so interesting. I like his lecture style very much. I listened carefully and took notes throughout the course.
I like the examples that are used in this course the most. Tell us who are the mature learners? The history of the mature learner. Let us reflect deeply on ourselves. Follow the example of these mature learners.
In this course I learn the skills I need to develop as a mature student, as well as access to different support systems. I think this course is really good. Taught me a lot.
What is a mature student? What kind of life and work experience can a mature learner bring to the learning environment? This course is very well explained. Let me reflect on whether I can be a mature learner as a student.