MedTech: AI and Medical Robots
About CourseUniversity of Leeds
Learn how medical robots in healthcare are designed, regulated and used
On this course, you will learn what robots are and explore human robot interaction (HRI) in healthcare. You will identify the challenges of designing robots for healthcare and look at what MedTech scientists are doing to solve them.
Using case studies, you will learn why regulations are essential for the safe use of robots and AI in healthcare, and understand the process of bringing a successful product to market.
You will also explore how artificial intelligence is used in surgical procedures, to improve precision diagnostics, in exoskeleton technology, and even for patient care.
- Understanding the history of AI and robotics in healthcare.
- Exploring the features of human-robot interaction.
- Human centred design and challenges when designing robots for use in healthcare settings.
- Regulatory bodies and frameworks within AI and robotics.
- The pathway and process of commercialising healthcare robots.
- How robots are currently being used to assist patients.
- How robots can be used to assist clinicians.
- Exploring the future of robots in healthcare and whether it could result in a loss of human care.
Who developed the course?
As one of the UK’s largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.
What Will I Learn?
- Discuss how AI and Robotic technologies could impact the nature of assisting individuals with healthcare complications.
- Articulate the commercialisation and regulatory process of medical robotics in the US and UK.
- Describe crucial problems of using AI and robotics in healthcare and how this is overcome.
- Describe how assistive robots assist in the application for surgery and rehabilitation.