Learning in the Network Age
About CourseUniversity of Southampton
Develop the skills to succeed in education today.
Digital technologies have fundamentally changed how we learn. The web is no longer simply an information resource, but also a space for interaction, scholarship and creativity.
In this world where knowledge is widely distributed, accessibility is determined by and dependent on the strength of an individual’s learning network. This course will equip you with the skills needed to succeed in education, in this networked age. You’ll explore our digital differences and how to address them and examine ways to grow and manage your own personal learning network.
What topics will you cover?
- How we learn in the network age (learning theory)
- Understanding digital inequalities and digital citizenship in an educational context
- What your Personal Learning Network (PLN) looks like and how you use it
- Growing your network – making new connections and assessing reliability
- Contributing to your network – managing your online identity (single vs multiple); creating and sharing
- Putting your network to work – searching; sending/requesting/posting; collaborating
What Will I Learn?
- Explain what it means to learn in the network age (where, when, how and with/from whom we learn as networked individuals in a network society)
- Reflect on the impact on education of digital inequalities such as access, openness, ownership and inclusion
- Explore digital tools for finding, using and storing information; communicating and collaborating; and creating, presenting and sharing ideas
- Investigate your personal learning network and develop network skills in how to grow, manage and activate it more effectively
Topics for this course
Do we need to ‘learn’ anything in the Network Age?
Welcome to the Course
What you need to know about the course
How do we learn?
Our digital differences
Your Personal Learning Network (PLN)
Great course. The lecturers are very knowledgeable on the subject matter, and are excellent speakers. They keep it interesting and engaging.
This course is very informative and offers great tips that i can utilize in the workplace.
This is a great course. It has what it takes to keep one engaged, including datas, videos and pdfs.
Writing clearly and concise contents is the digital technologies whether personal or professionally.