Introduction to Nursing: Bioscience, Psychology, and Sociology
About CourseUniversity of York
Explore the exciting possibilities of a career in nursing
Most people will have interacted with a qualified nurse during their lifetime, but the profession remains largely misunderstood.
On this course, you’ll develop an accurate understanding of nursing and where a career in nursing can lead. You’ll discover the demands of nursing in emergency and intensive care, and education and research. You’ll also observe nursing in GP surgeries, people’s homes, and assisted living facilities.
The course will explore how basic science, psychology, and sociology is applied in the nursing profession to reveal the diverse role nurses play in our society today.
What topics will you cover?
- The variety of roles undertaken by nurses
- The context of nursing, caring for children, adults, older people, individuals with mental health and cognitive support needs
- Bioscience applied to nursing looking at basic physiological measurement
- Psychology related to nursing including the impact of psychology on physiology
- Sociology related to nursing care and society.
Who will you learn with?
I am a lecturer in Adult Nursing with clinical experience in intensive care nursing. I am the admissions tutor for Nursing and Midwifery at the University of York
I trained as a general nurse before training to be a children’s nurse at Great Ormond Street Hospital. I worked in children’s heart surgical units in London before becoming a lecturer at York.
I’m a Lecturer in Mental Health Nursing with interests in professional values, the nurse-patient relationship and older people’s mental health care.
Who developed the course?
University of York
The University of York combines the pursuit of academic excellence with a culture of inclusion, which encourages everyone – from a variety of backgrounds – to achieve their best.
What Will I Learn?
- Identify how the application of basic science relates to nursing practice.
- Describe some of the basic psychology and sociology applied to nursing
- Discuss the roles of nursing within society
- Develop an understanding of health research that can be utilised in evidence-based nursing care