#IT-04-25 Introduction to Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT)
About CourseUCL Consultants
Discover distributed ledger technology and blockchain for business
On this course, you’ll get an introduction to blockchain and DLT through a case study of a company that uses various aspects of the technologies to solve business problems.
You’ll discover how and why blockchain technologies can be used in business to improve processes and inform decision-making.
You’ll explore its Bitcoin beginnings and learn how blockchains can change how information and value is stored, transferred and coordinated.
You’ll also consider how DLT can be used to change current business models through the use of smart contracts and secure data coordination.
What Will I Learn?
- Explain what problems blockchains solve
- Describe what the properties of a blockchain system are
- Demonstrate knowledge of who the key stakeholders in the blockchain ecosystem
- Compare decentralised and centralised systems, what are the pros and cons of both are and why decentralisation is a key property of a blockchain
- Explain how blockchains could be used for payments
- Describe how cryptography and consensus mechanisms are used in blockchain systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of how blockchain can be used in supply chains
- Explain what are smart contracts and how they can be applied and how they differ from concentional contracts
- Apply the UCL Blockchain Framework to see if a business problem could be solved with the application of blockchain technology
- Reflect on how blockchain technology could lead to transformational business models and disruption in our conventional socio-economic systems
Topics for this course
Let’s get started
Why should you care about blockchain?00:04:06
Who are you learning from?
Online learning and course glossary
What problems does blockchain solve?
A brief history of blockchain
Properties of a blockchain system
Who participates and in which part of a blockchain system?
Working together: doing business with blockchain00:05:53
How DLT can spur innovation and change intellectual property rights
Who’s working on blockchain and why?
Betsy and its bright blockchain future!
Betsy and blockchain
My favorite part of the course was a good explanation of how blockchain can be used as a means to establish better provenance and how smart contracts can be used to automate processes that rely on trusted information.
This course explores with us how and why blockchain technology can be used in business to improve processes and inform decisions. It is a good course and I benefit a lot from it.
This course takes us through the origins of bitcoin and how the blockchain has changed the way information and value are stored, transferred, and coordinated. It's an interesting course. I like it very much.
The course provides an introduction to blockchain and DLT through a case study of a company that USES various aspects of the technology to solve business problems. It's a good case, it makes sense.