#CA-02-03 How to Write Your First Song
About CourseThe University of Sheffield
Ever wanted to write a song, but not known how?
This course will introduce you to the tools and techniques you need to write your first song.
Each week, using specially-commissioned lyrics, we’ll build up a song and encourage you to do the same. World-renowned musician, Martin Simpson, will use the same words and techniques and we’ll check in with him each week for inspiration and guidance on the songwriting process.
We’ll also talk to experts in music and psychology as well as established musicians and songwriters to find out what makes a song successful.
What topics will you cover?
- Setting words to music
- Time and pitch
- Working with melody
- Chords and chord progressions
- Song forms
- Arranging your song
What Will I Learn?
- Set words to rhythm using the concepts of metre and scansion.
- Identify the ingredients of an effective melody.
- Describe the different chord types and progressions used in popular songs.
- Explain the most commonly used song forms and structures.
- Explore how songs can develop when different lines and instruments are added to the accompaniment.
- Combine these fundamental musical elements to come up with a song of your own.
Topics for this course
What’s involved in songwriting?
Welcome to the course00:01:49
Join the band
Why are songs important?
How to write your first song (in a nutshell)00:05:34
Songwriter in session: Jon McClure00:04:37
We ask Sheffield students: how did you write your first song?00:06:05
Writing your song
Writing your song00:03:24
Writing lyrics about place
Some tips for getting started
Songwriter in session: Neil McSweeney00:06:36
The songwriting challenge
My Town: your first impressions
Meeting Martin Simpson00:06:50
Repeat and fade00:01:34
Great introductory course for beginners and intermediate level students!
This course is a good fit for me. It taught me the proper way to deal with songs as well as the rationale behind it. It will save me a lot of grief.
I enjoy this course because it addresses topics that I do not have much experience in. It is helping me to finish my dream, write a song belong myslef.
Great refresher for me. The presenter speaks clearly. The material is well organized and easy to understand.