Fraud Investigation: Making a Difference
About CourseCoventry University
Explore the skills required to make a difference and prevent fraud
Fraud is a great challenge facing communities today. The methods used by criminals to steal from individuals and organisations are constantly evolving and becoming more sophisticated. This makes it even harder for fraud to be prevented.
On this course, you will study with the City of London Police the skills needed to conduct an effective and proactive fraud investigation. You will look at the key enablers of fraud and learn how to apply the Fraud Investigation Model. Upon successful completion of this course, you should feel more confident in your ability to fight against fraud.
What topics will you cover?
- Fraud types and factors: this topic will focus on the meaning and nature of fraud, fraud factors and the most common fraud types by volume reported in the UK.
- The Fraud Investigation Model: this topic should explore how to use the Fraud Investigation Model to counter fraud.
- Conducting effective fraud investigations: this topic should help you to understand the factors to be considered in an evaluation of the fraud prior to the investigation. You’ll also study case management considerations specific to fraud investigations.
Who will you learn with?
I am a Police Officer at City of London Police, with over 10 years experience in Fraud and Economic Crime, Action Fraud and the Police National Co-Ordinators office supporting Police Forces in the UK
I am an internationally-oriented academic with 13 years of experience in HE. I am a Senior Lecturer at Coventry University, a Certified Fraud Examiner, and a member of the ACFE Fraud Advisory Council.
I am a counter fraud learning specialist with 35 years of experience. I have written a range of national investigation programmes and worked with HM Govt. I hold a Masters degree in Fraud Management.
Who developed the course?
Coventry secured gold in the UK Government’s 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and is University of the Year for Student Experience in The Times & The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
What Will I Learn?
- Identify the key enablers of fraud.
- Explore the psychology of fraud criminals.
- Interpret the nature of frequently reported fraud types.
- Explain how to implement the Fraud Investigation Model (FIM).
- Identify case management considerations specific to fraud investigations.
- Interpret principles for working with victims.
Topics for this course
What is fraud?
Expert interview: What do we mean by fraud?00:03:50
The legal definition of fraud
The three classes of fraud
The costs of fraud
Motives for committing fraud
Opportunities for committing fraud
Rationalisations for committing fraud
Other fraud factors
Expert Interview: Introducing fraud types00:02:47
Bank card fraud
Online banking fraud
Retail, online shopping, auction and advance fee fraud
Mandate, application, computer software service and romance fraud
The course content was good and it will be useful in professional life it can helps to prevent the frauds.
The course was really good and covers the practical part of frauds which have occur ed during the past. It contains the many fraud cases along with reasons for frauds.
Anyone who wants an bird's eye view about Forensic Accounting & Fraud Investigation can surely subscribe for this course.
The detection which just I came to know to help us to stay away as well as investigation any fraudulent activities happened nearby me.