#BU-04-14 Develop Your Cultural Intelligence
About CoursePurdue University
Grow your cultural intelligence
In a globalised world workplaces are increasingly filled with a mix of people from wide variety of places, with a mix of cultures. Good cultural intelligence (CQ) – the ability to work effectively across cultures – is vital.
On this course you will learn about the key aspects of cultural intelligence and learn different methods for improving your own cultural intelligence. You will explore how cultural intelligence can make all the difference to effectiveness, performance and success in a multicultural and global environment.
What topics will you cover?
- Cultural value orientations or dimensions
- Interest, drive, and motivation to adapt interculturally
- How cultures are similar and different including cultural values
- Awareness and ability to plan in light of one’s cultural understanding
- Adaptability when relating and working interculturally
- Personal cultural intelligence development plan
What Will I Learn?
- Compare your preferred cultural values with other cultural groups
- Engage your interest, drive, and confidence in adapting to diversity and multicultural situations or individuals
- Report your understanding of how cultures and diversities are similar and how they are different
- Explain your awareness and ability to plan for diverse and multicultural interactions
- Evaluate your ability to adapt when relating and working in diverse contexts
- Identify strategies for developing your cultural intelligence
Topics for this course
Welcome and introduction00:03:00
Getting to know each other
Introduction to cultural intelligence (CQ)
Genesis of cultural intelligence00:01:15
What is the cultural intelligence difference?00:01:54
Cultural value dimensions
Individualism versus collectivism
Introduction to ten cultural value dimensions
Low versus high uncertainty avoidance
Low and high power distance
Short versus long term
Additional cultural dimensions
Being versus doing
Non-expressive versus expressive
Monochronic and polychronic dimensions
Let’s recap and review
Learning this course
Excelent course, I learned a lot about looking for differences between cultures in work. We are a global community interacting all togheter.
Impressively well-researched course about cultural intelligence. Explanation are clear and recommendation are well-explained. I like the fact that we deep dive in complex subject.
I wish there were discussion questions and several written assignments in order to put in practice the knowledge acquired in this course.
This class is more about the different cultural dimensions than "how to" flex, but then there is no magic formula. One just has to observe and be willing to flex; learning about the different dimensions is certainly helpful when you need to flex.