#IT-03-06 Design a Feminist Chatbot
About CourseUAL Creative Computing Institute
Explore how ideas from feminism can help you design chatbots for good
We live in an age of conversations powered by artificial intelligence. From customer service chatbots to bots that help you meditate, conversational interfaces are becoming part of our everyday lives – some helping us to automate human work, and others aiming to improve wellbeing.
Yet chatbots can easily reinforce harmful gender stereotypes or promote discriminatory behaviour if their designers aren’t careful.
On this course, you’ll study feminism and its relationship to technology in order to help you build a feminist chatbot. You’ll learn feminist design tools and basic coding skills, before applying them to designing and programming a chatbot of your own.
What topics will you cover?
- Feminism and its relationship to technology
- Feminist design tools
- Feminist approaches to conversation design
- Basic coding in a collaborative coding environment
- Prototyping a feminist chatbot
What Will I Learn?
- Explore current uses of chatbots and how they work
- Interpret concepts of feminism and their relationship to technology
- Explore feminist design tools and how they can be applied to chatbot development
- Design a chatbot conversation using Whimsical flowcharts
- Produce a prototype of a chatbot using Glitch, a community programming environment
Topics for this course
Chatbots and the problem of bias
Welcome to the course00:02:21
How to get the most out of this course
Why should we care about feminist chatbots?00:02:56
What can chatbots do?
Chatbots for good
Your experience of using chatbots
How do chatbots work?
What are chatbots and how do they work?00:02:46
How chatbots become biased
What do we mean by bias?
Bias in the chatbot design process00:02:53
How Microsoft’s Tay chatbot became biased
Why does AI bias matter?
Why is AI bias a problem?00:04:41
What kinds of harm does AI bias cause?
Its fascinating. Very interesting content I could learn about.
Instructor has good personality and keeps things moving quickly so you will not get bored. Would recommend for beginners
It was the perfect course to introduce me to chatbots and feminism. great work!
Preparing this course, Jana has done a huge amount of work. She easily provides a lot of practical and complex material. With her answers to your questions, lecturer motivates you to go even deeper. All this allows students to believe in themselves and move towards the completion of the project. Thank you, very much!