Communicating with Diverse Audiences
About CourseUniversity of Surrey
Learn to interpret different varieties of English and avoid communication bias
Communication with diverse audiences is necessary for many professions.
You may face communication barriers when talking to people with a different cultural background, who speak different varieties of English, or who don’t share your life experiences and professional practices.
On this course, you’ll learn how different values or expectations, and different varieties of English can pose challenges to effective communication.
You’ll learn to make conscious decisions about the way you use language in interpersonal interactions and how to communicate more effectively through a range of strategies.
Who developed the course?
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. Surrey empowers students for personal and professional success by providing exceptional teaching and practical learning.
What Will I Learn?
- Describe the layers and facets of culture and of other possible influences on communication practices
- Assess which factors influence how they and others communicate
- Reflect critically on their own and others' communicative behaviours to avoid unconscious bias
- Describe different varieties of English and reflect critically on their own position as an English speaker
- Apply a range of new strategies to establish rapport and achieve desired goals
- Explain how language can be used to build interpersonal relationships
- Evaluate the effectiveness of their communicative repertoire