#LA-04-07 Child Protection for Teachers
About CourseQueensland University of Technology
Learn to identify the warning signs and indicators of child abuse and neglect.
Teachers in many countries are required by law to report certain types of child abuse and neglect to relevant child protection authorities. Some nations are on the cusp of introducing mandatory reporting obligations, or have policy-based duties for reporting. All teachers can benefit from increased awareness and understanding of their roles in child protection.
This course will enable you to recognise the signs of child abuse and neglect, and learn how maltreatment impacts on children’s learning and development. It will also help you to understand your role as a reporter.
What topics will you cover?
- The warning signs and indicators of different types of child abuse and neglect
- The roles of teachers and other professionals in recognising and reporting suspected cases of child abuse and neglect
- Key elements of child protection legislation and policy
- Characteristics of effective school-based prevention programs
What Will I Learn?
- Identify the warning signs and indicators of child abuse and neglect subtypes.
- Describe the key elements of child protection legislation and policy relevant to your school context.
- Assess where child abuse and neglect prevention fits within school curriculum, and become familiar with the most effective pedagogies for implementing prevention initiatives.
- Reflect on your role as a mandatory reporter and staff member in a child-safe organisation.
Topics for this course
Impact of maltreatment
Welcome to the course00:02:12
Why are you here?
The story of Mary Ellen00:03:18
Taking care of yourself
Impact on learning00:02:44
Why does this happen?
Recognising the signs
I think this section on warning signs and indicators for different types of child abuse and neglect is well said and very detailed.
We should take care of the physical and mental development of children. Child abuse is not only physical, but also mental abuse, so we should understand it well.
Through this course we can recognize the signs of child abuse and neglect and understand how abuse affects children's learning and development. Very good course.
In this society, there are more and more incidents of child abuse. Through the course, we can know what the incidents of child abuse include and how to prevent the occurrence of child abuse.