#CA-02-12 Become a Better Presenter: Improve Your Public Speaking Skills
About CourseRoyal Observatory Greenwich
Improve your presentation skills and learn how to engage with your audience
Presenting to an audience, either online or in person, can be a daunting prospect, and requires specific skills in order to be successful.
It doesn’t matter what your level of experience is, this course will help build your confidence and give you the tools you need to improve your presenting style.
Build presentation skills based on your strengths and weaknesses
You’ll reflect on your own presentation style, identifying aspects where you feel you excel as well as areas where you need to improve.
You’ll learn how to add personality and life into your presentation style, and you’ll also decipher how to explain information clearly and effectively to your audience without needing to rely on jargon or them having pre-existing subject knowledge.
Understand how to sharpen and improve your public speaking
Whether you’re presenting to a formal meeting or speaking to 500 people from a stage, you’ll find out how to sharpen your presenting skills and pitch to whomever your audience may be, specifically through improvisation and storytelling.
You’ll also learn what to do when things go wrong and will learn how to tackle difficult and controversial questions as well as how to manage challenging audience behaviour.
Finally, you’ll apply what you have learned in theory and put it into practice, and will share and discuss your thoughts and fears with other learners.
Learn from The Presenter Network at the Royal Observatory Greenwich
The Presenter Network – founded by the Royal Observatory Greenwich – brings people together to provide a supportive space where members can share experiences and techniques to help everyone grow and develop as presenters.
You’ll learn from a range of experts within the presentation field, and will be able to tap into a vast and experienced network of presenters.
- How to identify your presenting strengths and weaknesses.
- How to add personality and life into your presenting style.
- How to engage with your audience whoever that may be from formal meetings to full-blown theatre shows.
- How to sharpen your presenting skills, specifically when it comes to improvisation, storytelling and weaving a narrative through your presentations.
- Activities that will allow you to put the theory you have learned into practice.
- What to do when things go wrong.
What Will I Learn?
- Reflect on your own presenting style identifying aspects where you feel you excel as well as where you need to improve.
- Explain information clearly and effectively to your audience without needing to rely on jargon or them having pre-existing subject knowledge.
- Apply what you have learned in theory and put it into practice.
- Share and discuss your thoughts and fears about presenting with other learners in a similar position to see what their concerns are about presenting too.
- Learn how to interact effectively with your audience covering everything from tackling difficult and controversial questions to dealing with challenging behavior.
- Identify networks and sources you can tap into to keep your skills sharp.
Topics for this course
Meet your course educator
Confidence in presenting
Confidence in presenting
New to presenting
What makes a good presenter?
Analysis of good and bad
Analyse your recording
Finding your style
What makes you unique as a presenter?
Great Course. Really well put together.
good. like this lecturer, wanna join Ms.Avery other lessons.
The course was not bad. It improved my speaking skills, especially when speaking off the cuff, telling stories, and weaving narrative into speeches.
What I like most about this course is how it helps us distinguish our strengths and weaknesses in public speaking. Very good course.
This course taught me how to add personality and vitality to my presentation style to make my speeches more vivid and powerful.
I had no idea how to give a speech in front of an audience, and the course was great. It helped me build my confidence and provided me with the tools I needed to improve my speaking style. That's great.