#SC-03-18 Battery Manufacturing: Trends in Battery Engineering
About CourseEIT Manufacturing
Understand the current trends and challenges in battery engineering
On this course, you’ll learn how sustainable batteries can play a vital role in a green economy.
The European Commission’s ‘A Clean Planet for all’ sets out a vision of a carbon-neutral economy by 2050. New advances in battery technology can make this a reality, and make battery engineering an exciting career path.
Learn about the importance of batteries for clean energy
Batteries are vital for a sustainable future because of the key part they play in stabilising the power grid and in powering electric vehicles.
You’ll learn exactly what the current trends in battery manufacturing are, and the different ways new batteries and storage technologies can aid clean energy in Europe’s automotive sector and beyond.
Explore new Li-ion battery technology trends
You’ll learn about cutting-edge Li-ion battery electrodes, and the new ways they could be applied in energy and industry.
You’ll also get an overview of the latest processes in cell manufacturing.
Examine recent safety issues in battery production and recycling
Battery recycling is a key component of sustainable battery engineering. You’ll identify how recycling can help secure sustainable materials for battery production.
You’ll also learn the latest in recycling technologies for Li-ion batteries, and ultimately be able to describe thermal runaway and important battery safety issues.
- Batteries for Electric Vehicles
- Battery Storage Technologies
- Battery Lifecycle
- Recycling of Batteries
- Special Processes and Equipment
- Safety Issues
Who developed the course?
What Will I Learn?
- Explain current trends in battery manufacturing.
- Describe the manufacturing process of a battery cell.
- Describe battery safety issues (Short-circuit, Thermal runway and Thermal Propagation).
- Explore different applications of batteries.
- Describe several technical characteristics of Storage Technologies.
- Describe the basic functioning of lithium-ion batteries, their pros and cons.
- Explain the basic functioning of flow batteries, their pros and cons.
- Explain the basic functioning of supercapacitors, their pros and cons.
- Explain the basic functioning of lead acid batteries, their pros and cons.
- Identify the advantages of Li-ion batteries for Electric Vehicles.
- Explain pros and cons of the electrodes used in Li-ion batteries.
- Describe EV Battery Sustainability – Importance of Resource Extraction and Second-life.
- Explain recycling technologies for Lithium-ion batteries.
- Summarize General Concept of Life Cycle Assessment.
- Identify CO2e hot spots in battery production.
Topics for this course
Opening speech by Klaus Beetz, CEO of EIT Manufacturing00:01:28
Towards a climate neutral Europe by 2050
Battery Cell Production at Volkswagen’s Salzgitter Center of Excellence00:02:55
Different applications for Lithium-ion batteries
Different applications for Lithium-ion Batteries00:04:13
Electric vehicle market statistics00:03:37
Discussion: Lithium-ion batteries
Batteries for Electric Vehicles
Introduction to the Li-ion battery00:02:25
Li-ion battery electrodes00:02:42
Discussion: What are the current trends of Li-ion batteries in your country?
EV Battery Sustainability
EV Battery lifecycle: Sustainable resource extraction00:03:52
Battery valorisation through remanufacturing and second life stages00:03:02
Discussion: Are electric vehicles greener vehicles?
I felt the course was an interesting introduction to Li ion batteries. More quizzes than any other course I have done. Too many videos with unchecked transcripts and some videos made badly looking up from below the presenters face. No downloadable pdfs especially of the diagrams which I found annoying. I would have liked to have seen a section on stating Interesting topic actual battery characteristics.
The contents was so interesting. When we read the paragraph mind won't catch easily but by watching video we can easily understand.
The course was well laid out and comprehensive but I would like to have more on the energy required to manufacture (mine to shelf) and recycle/scrap. i.e what impact will demand for batteries have on our dwindling carbon budget should fossil fuels be involved.
A good overview of the lithium battery industry and comparisons to older technologies. Very good for students new to the subject.