The Musculoskeletal System: The Science of Staying Active into Old Age
About CourseThe University of Sheffield
This free online course has been developed by The Medical Research Council Versus Arthritis Centre for Integrated Research into Musculoskeletal Ageing, a collaboration between the Universities of Liverpool, Sheffield and Newcastle. On this course, you’ll learn why our bones, joints and muscles function less well as we age, and discover how best to live well as we get older.
- What is musculoskeletal health?
Identify the components of the musculoskeletal system and explain how they fit together. Find out how ageing affects the musculoskeletal system; learn about common, age-related musculoskeletal disorders; and discuss the impact of such disorders on society and quality of life.
- How can exercise benefit the musculoskeletal system?
Explore the impact of physical activity – and inactivity – on bones, muscles and joints. Find out why exercise can be good and bad, not just for cardiovascular health, but also for your musculoskeletal system as you age. Examine, through case studies, why clinical care teams make decisions about physical activity as they do.
- How can diet benefit the musculoskeletal system?
Extend your knowledge of the role of nutrition in musculoskeletal health, learn which foods provide important nutrients for our muscles and bones, and understand how dietary recommendations for musculoskeletal health change as we age.
The University of Sheffield is one of the world’s top 100 universities with a reputation for teaching and research excellence.
What Will I Learn?
- Identify the key components of the musculoskeletal system and explain how they fit together.
- Explain how ageing affects the musculoskeletal system.
- Describe common age-related problems of the musculoskeletal system.
- Discuss the impacts of musculoskeletal ageing on society and quality of life.
- Explore the impact of physical activity and inactivity on bones, muscles and joints.
- Identify the most important nutritional factors required for a healthy musculoskeletal system.
- Discuss how ageing and other factors affect nutritional needs and dietary habits for the musculoskeletal system.
- Explain how scientists and health professionals determine dietary requirements.
- Identify good dietary and other sources of essential nutrients.