#SC-02-06 Technical Report Writing for Engineers
About CourseThe University of Sheffield
Learn to communicate effectively through technical report writing
Technical reports are a vital tool for engineers to communicate their ideas. This online course introduces technical report writing and teaches the techniques you need to construct well-written engineering reports.
We’ll look at a key section of a technical report and the skills needed to write it. You’ll cover areas such as referencing and citations; presenting equations; diagrams and data; and using language and tenses correctly.
We’ll also talk to practising engineers, as well as students and educators who write and mark technical reports, who’ll give their hands-on advice.
What topics will you cover?
- Why technical reports are important for communicating ideas and concepts
- The anatomy of a technical report
- How to write aims and objectives
- Citing and referencing
- Presenting equations and nomenclature
- Figures, diagrams and labelling
- Presenting data
- Units, precision and errors
- Use of language and tense
- How and why to write discussion sessions
- Writing an abstract
What Will I Learn?
- Explain what a good technical engineering report is and what they are used for.
- Evaluate what a good report looks like.
- Use a technical report to communicate information.
- Apply knowledge of what goes into the key sections of a report to produce your own report.
Topics for this course
Welcome to the course
Technical report writing: why does it matter?00:04:03
Getting to know each other
Reasons to communicate clearly
What is a technical report?
So, what exactly is a technical report?
The anatomy of a technical report00:04:14
Tailoring your report for your audience00:04:00
Summing up and looking ahead
Playing by the rules
What’s coming up?
Yes, this course has improved my academic report writing. It makes it easier for me to write my own academic report. Too good.
The course is an excellent dissection of technical reports. Good point. Teach us how to write technical report goals. Well said.
In this course we learn various techniques, such as citations and citations fields, from cases of different academic presentations; The equation; Charts and data; Use language and tenses correctly. A very useful course.
Technical reports are an important tool for engineers to communicate ideas. This course introduces you to the writing of technical reports and teaches you the skills you need to build good engineering reports. The course was well presented. It's worth learning.