Supporting early career teacher development with the Early Career Framework
About CourseUCL (University College London)
Get ready for the Early Career Framework
The Department for Education’s (DfE) new Early Career Framework (ECF) sets out a statutory entitlement for two years’ professional development for early career teachers.
The ECF will be applicable to all new teachers in England from 2021. This course is aimed at school leaders and mentor teachers who will play a part in implementing the ECF. The course will help you to understand how to plan for and support early career teacher professional development through the ECF.
You’ll learn about perspectives on teacher expertise and learning, including pedagogical methods of teacher education. You’ll discuss your own understanding of teacher expertise with peers, as well as your vision for teacher development in your setting.
You’ll explore how the ECF is designed to support early career teachers’ professional development. And you’ll consider what additional learning your early career teachers will need to prepare them fully for your setting.
Implement the Early Career Framework
You’ll be introduced to the importance of implementation planning. You’ll learn about findings from research and practice and use these to consider your approach to implementing the ECF.
You’ll explore the idea that mentoring is specialised practice and hear from mentors and early career teachers involved in the early roll-out of the ECF. You’ll begin to plan for high quality mentoring in your own ECF programme.
The course is delivered by UCL Institute of Education, a global leader in teacher education. The Institute of Education evaluated the ECF pilot programmes and led the early roll-out of the ECF in the north of England. It is an accredited provider for the DfE’s national roll-out in 2021.
- Introducing perspectives on teacher expertise
- Exploring the content and purpose of the Early Career Framework
- Approaches to supporting new teacher learning and development
- Planning for smooth implementation of the Early Career Framework
- Getting the most from mentoring within the Early Career Framework
What Will I Learn?
- Discuss different ways that we can understand teacher expertise and learning
- Reflect on your personal understandings of teacher expertise and learning
- Explain how the Early Career Framework is intended to support ECTs' development
- Describe a range of learning activities that can be used to support ECTs’ learning, including in relation to the Early Career Framework
- Identify the steps needed in your school or setting to support smooth implementation of the Early Career Framework, and your role in this