MedTech: Exploring the Human Genome
About CourseUniversity of Leeds
Learn how genomics is changing the future of healthcare
Advances in genomics have opened up exciting new possibilities for healthcare. On this course, you’ll learn what genomics is, and how it can revolutionise patient care. You’ll learn how genomic testing works, and consider the regulatory and ethical issues that surround it.
You’ll explore how genomics can improve patient care by understanding how genomic data helps clinicians to identify illness risk more accurately, using the specific examples of cancer and epidemics such as Zika virus disease. You will also look at the future of genomics, and how it might impact healthcare roles.
- What is genomics?
- Who are the stakeholders?
- What are the challenges?
- Addressing patients’ needs
- How are healthcare roles evolving?
- MedTech innovations in genomics
Who developed the course?
As one of the UK’s largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.
What Will I Learn?
- Describe how the field of genomics has broadly developed over the past 20 years
- Explore the role of DNA sequencing in identifying the risk of disease
- Discuss how genomics impacts on citizens, healthcare professionals and providers
- Reflect on the ethical, regulatory and accessibility challenges of genomics
- Describe the commercial opportunities of technological developments in genomics
- Debate the developments in genomics for healthcare