#BU-03-11 How to Succeed at: Writing Applications
About CourseThe University of Sheffield
Why join the course?
Experts from The Careers Service here at The University of Sheffield share their top tips to help you write exceptional applications, CVs (or résumés), covering letters and personal statements. You’ll also hear from employers and admissions tutors to find out what they really look for in a candidate.
What Will I Learn?
- Improve your chances of success in getting a job or securing a place on a university course
- Apply best practice techniques when applying for jobs, apprenticeships, placements and university courses, from preparing to apply, to writing CVs and completing application forms
- Identify what recruiters are looking for by analysing job adverts and researching employers and institutions, to find out how to adapt your offer to suit their requirements
- Develop a better understanding of your strengths and skills to tackle applying for your dream job or course with confidence
- Improve the way you promote yourself effectively through positive writing and a strong personal brand, creating an identity that looks impressive to a recruiter, whether that's an employer or admissions tutor
Topics for this course
WELCOME FROM KATIE VIDEO (03:02)00:03:02
GETTING TO KNOW YOU DISCUSSION
MAKING A START ARTICLE
WHAT DO WE MEAN BY SKILLS? ARTICLE
KEY SKILLS VIDEO (04:19)00:04:19
UNDERSTANDING YOUR SKILLS ARTICLE
Understanding jobs and courses
ANALYSING JOB ADVERTS ARTICLE
ANALYSING COURSE DESCRIPTIONS ARTICLE
HAVE A GO DISCUSSION
RESEARCH THE ORGANISATION VIDEO (02:01)00:02:9
RESEARCHING UNIVERSITIES OR COLLEGES ARTICLE
Making the match
POSITIVE WRITING – MAKE AN IMPRESSION ARTICLE
CREATE A PERSONAL BRAND ARTICLE
USING JOBS BOARDS AND RECRUITMENT AGENCIES ARTICLE
MASTERING APPLICANT TRACKING SYSTEMS ARTICLE
DEALING WITH GAPS IN YOUR APPLICATION ARTICLE
SOME FINAL THOUGHTS ON PREPARATION VIDEO (01:21)00:01:21
It was good experience learning this thing.
If only I had come across this course earlier. It's great.
It's very helpful for me as a fresh graduate.
As a graduating student, it is very important to write a good application, resume, cover letter and personal statement. This course is very good and worth learning.