#HC-02-53 Food and Mood: Improving Mental Health Through Diet and Nutrition
About CourseDeakin University
Learn how healthy dietary choices can improve your mental and brain health
Poor diet and poor mental health are the leading causes of mortality and morbidity worldwide. We now know that diet quality is a modifiable factor that is linked to mental and brain health across all stages of our lives.
We will explore how our daily diets may affect our mental and brain health, including the role of our immune system and gut microbiome.
The course will provide research evidence, practical examples, skills development, and collaboration on dietary intake assessment, strategies and resource sharing for dietary change.
- The relationship between diet/nutrition and mental and brain health
- Factors influencing diet, nutrition and mental health
- Dietary styles, behaviours, guidelines and assessment
- The role of inflammation and gut microbiota for mental health
- How diet can be optimised for mental and brain health
What Will I Learn?
- Describe the relationship between diet/nutrition, and mental and brain health
- Explain why diet and nutrition are important for mental and brain health.
- Explore the principles and strategies of dietary change.
Topics for this course
Welcome to Food and Mood
Diet and mental health
Defining diet and mental health
The mental health continuum
What influences mental health?
Moderators of mental and brain health
Micro and Macro nutrition and Dietary styles
Why we eat what we eat
What impacts our eating attitudes and behaviours?
Really enjoyed this course. Easy to follow and some great information about healthy eating, gut health and the impact on mental health.
I really enjoyed this training and would love to do more training in relation to gut health and mental illness.
I absolutely LOVED doing this course and learning all about what I should be eating. It has changed me and my life by not only making me change my diet. But also I am so motivated now I am even looking at doing the Diploma in Nutrition now. I can't recommend this future learn course enough.
An excellent course that gave insight into how diet affects our mental and physical health. Very enjoyable.