#CA-02-13 Fashion and Sustainability: Understanding Luxury Fashion in a Changing World
About CourseLondon College of Fashion
How can we make fashion more sustainable?
Fashion is a global industry worth $2.4 trillion, employing around 50 million people, and is said to be one of the world’s most polluting industries.
Fashion has the power to make positive change, re-imagining currently damaging systems.
Get an introduction to sustainable fashion design, research and business practice, with this course from London College of Fashion’s Centre for Sustainable Fashion, supported by luxury fashion group Kering.
On this course, you’ll explore key sustainability issues, agendas and contexts associated with luxury fashion.
Who developed the course?
London College of Fashion, UAL is a world leader in fashion design, media and business education. We have been nurturing creative talent for over a century, offering courses in all things fashion.
What Will I Learn?
- Discuss the complex nature of sustainability through the introduction to materials sourcing for luxury fashion; informed decision making; and creative realisation of ideas.
- Apply understanding of fashion & sustainability knowledge and reflection to your practice through manifesto creation and design thinking processes.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of key sustainability agendas, issues and contexts associated with luxury fashion design, production and consumption.
- Debate current and emerging perspectives, design approaches and business strategies relevant to the contexts of planetary boundaries and human equality.
- Develop innovative approaches to fashion that can contribute to ecological resilience and thriving societies.
Topics for this course
Welcome to the course
INTRODUCTION TO THE COURSE ARTICLE
INTRODUCTION VIDEO (02:29)00:02:29
WHY FASHION AND SUSTAINABILITY? VIDEO (09:48)00:09:48
MAPPING ACTIVITY ARTICLE
SAY HELLO AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF DISCUSSION
Sustainability and luxury fashion
PERSPECTIVES ON SUSTAINABILITY ARTICLE
THE KERING PERSPECTIVE VIDEO (06:23)00:06:23
THE CSF PERSPECTIVE VIDEO (06:34)00:06:34
THE CSF FRAMEWORK ARTICLE
WHY IS SUSTAINABILITY IMPORTANT TO YOU AND YOUR PRACTICE? DISCUSSION
WHAT I VALUE IN THE WORLD ARTICLE
What are the agendas that affect sustainability?
THE FOUR AGENDAS ARTICLE
WHAT ARE THE AGENDAS FOR SUSTAINABILITY? AUDIO00:00:00
EXPLORING THE AGENDAS ARTICLE
REFLECTING ON THE AGENDAS DISCUSSION
WHAT IS A MANIFESTO? VIDEO (04:23)00:04:23
EXPLORING THE MANIFESTO ARTICLE
NEXT STEPS ARTICLE
In this course we explore key sustainability issues, agendas and backgrounds related to luxury fashion. Let me know more about the environmental impact of fashion is also important.
The course is offered by the London College of Fashion's Centre for Sustainable Fashion and supported by Kering, the luxury fashion group. Through this course, I learned an introductory course in sustainable fashion design, research and business practice. I really love this class.
The fashion industry, which still accounts for most of the world's resources, has the power to make positive changes and reimagine the system that is currently being broken. Let's discuss how fashion can be sustainable.
Fashion is a global industry worth $2.4 trillion. I didn't know fashion was one of the most polluted industries in the world. From this course, I saw the connection between fashion and environment bit by bit. Go deeper and reflect on how fashion can coexist peacefully with the environment.