#HI-03-04 English Football: a Social History
About CourseUniversity of Leicester
Examine the roots of football and its rise to modern prominance.
This course will explore the history and culture of football, with a focus on the World Cup and on Leicester City Football Club.
We’ll explore the origins of football, from early clubs to professional leagues and European competition; the role of media and formation of the Premier League; the World Cup from origins to Russia 2018; and how LCFC became unlikely Premier League Champions.
The University of Leicester and De Montfort University have joined Leicester City Football Club to give a unique insight into the history and sociology of the sport, and the inside story of a premier league club.
What topics will you cover?
- A history of football from early leagues and formats, through to the present day.
- The influence of the media, and European football, on the English game.
- The social impact of football: on fans and communities, through disaster and euphoria.
- A history of the World Cup, from origins to Russia 2018
- A case study of one Premier League club, looking in detail at their folk history and modern success.
- A detailed look at Leicester City Football Club’s remarkable ‘great escape’ and title-winning season 2015-16.
- An examination of the present state of football, and how it might change in the future.
What Will I Learn?
- Summarise key points in the history of football, from its roots to the Premier League
- Evaluate the role football plays in society, from fans to local and international communities
- Debate economic influences and motivations in modern football
- Discuss the current state of football, and its role in society
Topics for this course
The making of modern football
Welcome to the course00:01:03
Structure and study techniques
Football and You
The origins of modern football
Early organised forms of football 1 – the role of the public schools
Early organised forms of football 2 – football codes
The formation of the Football Association
The popularisation of football – FA Cup
Formation of the Fosse: Interview00:01:32
The dawn of professional football
People in the early game
Football’s peculiar economics
Early football fans00:02:30
The Players I: Working conditions00:03:06
The Players II: Wages00:02:46
Football and the media
The rise of the Manager
Leicester City in the sixties00:01:44
I found the course very interesting,relevant and helpful....thanks for the excellent training.
My only complaint is that it was too short. An hour isn't nearly enough to fully understand football.
This course should be marketed as a basic beginner football and networking session.
It's been amazing experience for me and i so happy that i joined this course and right now i can talk in English so easy specially in talking about football.