#HI-03-02 England in the Time of King Richard III
About CourseUniversity of Leicester
Travel back to the 15th century and explore life during the time of Richard III
The discovery of the skeleton of Richard III in a Leicester car park – and the recent revelations of an infidelity within his family’s bloodline – have made headline news around the world.
Go beyond the headlines with this online course. You’ll learn from scholars at the University of Leicester not only about the discovery of Richard III, but about England during his life time. You’ll examine a different aspect of the 15th century period, including medieval warfare, food and culture, death and commemoration and more. Now’s your chance to travel back in time.
What topics will you cover?
- Medieval battles and the Wars of the Roses
- Peasants and farmers
- Medieval towns, villages and houses
- Books, literacy and printing
- Death and commemoration
- Food and cooking in the 15th century
- The discovery and reburial of King Richard III
What Will I Learn?
- Describe the sequence of events and the key players in the Wars of the Roses, and explain the ways in which reputations are created
- Explain the nature of armed combat in the middle ages
- Describe the way English farming was organised before the Black Death
- Identify 15th century changes in the landscape and the benefits to ordinary people of the new developments
- Explore the evidence for the scale of literacy in England before printed books
- Describe how typefaces were first created and how rapidly printed books spread, and to whom
- Summarise medieval beliefs about the afterlife
- Identify the types of late medieval burial, burial customs, commemoration and memorial monuments
- Identify what foods were, and were not, available in the 15th century and the differences in the diet of rich and poor
- Describe the ways in which people cooked and ate at the table
- Reflect on some of the reasons why the discovery of Richard III has aroused such international interest
- Interpret the range of evidence that makes the identification of Richard III's body convincing
Topics for this course
Medieval battles and the wars of the roses
England in the Time of King Richard III: welcome!00:02:30
The Plantagenets and their supporters in the 15th century
How do we know about the 15th century? Sources for the period
Personalities and reputations
The Battles of the Wars of the Roses
Key people and events00:05:31
Casualties and consequences
Historical truth and historical fiction
The nature of armed combat in the 15th century
Arms and armour: who wore what?
Battlefield archaeology: Towton
Finding Bosworth Battlefield: Interview00:02:20
Bosworth: Finding the correct site
The Wars of the Roses in popular imagination
15th century and Tudor perspectives
20th century enthusiasms: Re-awakening and re-enactment
Re-enactment: An interview with Richard Knox00:05:05
Discussion: The nature and value of re-enactment
Test yourself: review of the course
End of Course
I really enjoyed taking the course because my favorite part of English history was the Richard III era, and I loved all the books about medieval wars.
It's a great online course. Full of historical knowledge, I like the part about medieval wars and wars of the Roses very much.
Deirdre O 'Sullivan tells it in a very interesting way, exploring life during Richard III's time.
This course explores life during Richard III's time, giving us a deeper understanding of medieval wars and the Wars of the Roses. History is always interesting and exciting.