#NA-02-08 Desertification: Problems and Solutions
About CoursePurdue University
Get an introduction to desertification and other related environmental issues
Desertification is when previously healthy or fertile land degrades and becomes desert. But how does this happen? And why is it a major issue for our world?
Get answers with this course introducing desertification and related issues including soil depletion, dust bowls, dust storms and global warming.
Not only will you understand the process of desertification, you will also use critical thinking and creative problem-solving to address the causes and consequences of desertification, applying the 6-step ‘FPS model’.
What topics will you cover?
- Research global issues surrounding desertification, including global warming, soil depletion, dust bowls, and environmental degradation
- Use the 6-step Future Problem Solving model to identify challenges, generate and evaluate solutions, and develop an action plan for reversing desertification
- Use the 4 Cs of learning and innovation to brainstorm potential solutions related to desertification: creativity, critical thinking/problem-solving, communication, collaboration
What Will I Learn?
- Identify causes and consequences of desertification around the globe
- Apply the 6-step Future Problem Solving (FPS) model to identify challenges, generate and evaluate solutions, and develop an action plan
- Demonstrate the 4 Cs of learning and innovation--creativity, critical thinking/problem solving, communication, and collaboration--to generate potential solutions to desertification
Topics for this course
Welcome to Future Problem Solving: Global Desert Reclamation
Greetings from the Lead Educator
Learn more about GER2I and FPSPI
The Global Desert Reclamation Project: We need you
The Future Scene: This is where your adventure begins
Join the Global Desertification Reclamation Team
Introduce yourself to your fellow learners
Mission team training
An overview of the FPS process00:08:12
Mission Team Research #1: Global Warming
Research #1 Discussion
Mission Team Research #2: If Soil Could Speak
If Soil Could Speak, What Would It Say?
Mission Team Research #3: Soil Exterminators
Mission Research #3: “Top Ten Wall of Shame”
Do you accept the mission?
This course takes us through the process of desertification, as well as how we apply critical thinking and creative problem-solving approaches to the six-step "FPS model" to address the causes and consequences of desertification. That's great.
How can we mitigate global desertification in the context of modern technology? The course mentions using the four Cs of learning and innovation to bring together and broaden potential solutions related to desertification: creativity, critical thinking/problem solving, communication, collaboration. It's worth thinking about.
I've been studying environmental science, which deals with global desertification issues, including global warming, soil depletion, sandstorms and environmental degradation, and that's a really good part of it.
I have been to the desert to travel, very feel desert dry, this is the global desertification problem, and global warming is related to the course on environmental protection. It's very deep, and it's worth it.