An Intermediate Guide to Writing in English for University Study
About CourseUniversity of Reading
Develop the English skills required for extended writing projects and essays.
On this course you will expand your academic English skills and learn the necessary extended writing and research skills for producing a thorough and high standard extended essay.
You’ll get an introduction to research tools, writing critically and referencing, as well as learning more about the fundamentals like essay structure, proofreading and avoiding plagiarism.
Whether you’re a prospective undergraduate or postgraduate, or are currently undertaking university-level study – this course will build on your ability to research, write and reference essays and extended writing projects.
What Will I Learn?
- Assess the difference between academic writing and other types of writing
- Identify the different features of an academic essay
- Identify appropriate search systems to find reading texts relevant to your topic area
- Apply critical reading skills to analyse and evaluate an academic text
- Explain why most academic texts are organised into paragraphs
- Produce a well-organised, coherent paragraph as part of an academic essay
- Identify information from source materials and texts to include in your writing according to the appropriate academic conventions of referencing
Topics for this course
Welcome to the course
Welcome to the course00:02:59
What is academic writing?
What is academic writing
IELTS exam essay00:03:07
Common features of academic writing
Different essay structures
Choosing the correct structure for your essay question
Patrick’s essay: structure00:02:08
Analysing the essay question
Analysing the question00:03:05
Your main essay question
Generating ideas for the essay
Language focus: Identifying a word class
Introduction to language in essays
Parts of speech00:01:51
Part of speech: Suffixes
This Course is amazing! The Prof. Smith is just 'Great'. Jonathan Smith is best Prof. ever! I love this course and i love the professor Smithl.
I'm writing a paper on an English project. This course helps me a lot. I hope to find out more about this type of course.
This course has taught me to enhance my research abilities, which belong to writing and reference papers and extended writing projects. B: It's not bad. I will recommend other students to have a look.
From this teacher, I learned more basic Knowledge of English, such as paper structure, proofreading and avoiding plagiarism.
In this course I developed my academic English skills and learned the necessary extension of writing and research skills. This course is too practical.